Şehzade Wind Power Plant is a renewable energy generation facility equipped with cutting-edge technology, turning wind energy to electricity. The first phase of the plant is expected to generate 148 GWh electric energy annually from 46,2 MW installed. This should be expanded to 147MW in subsequent phases. The facility is located in Beldagi, Amasya, on 1350 meters above the sea level, on 3500-hectare tableland. It is a short drive from the Merzifon airport, Ankara, and Samsun.
Eurowind Holding, the early stage developer, and GNCR entered into a joint venture in 2015 to implement the project. The plant, in this first phase, meets the electricity needs for some 47,000 households throughout Turkey. Commissioning was in June 2016.
Installation and operation of the power plant has provided employment of almost 250 people, and involvement of local workers and regional contractors.
In the project development and construction stages, cooperation was provided with first class product and service provider 3rd parties, contractors, suppliers and technical advisers regarding geotechnical analyses, feasibility reports from the world’s leading technical wind consultancies, wind speed analyses, environmental impact evaluations, site analyses, site construction, and turbine supply.
Sehzade also complies with the full extent of local content available on a bankable basis. Thus, both an added value was provided for Turkish industry, and a higher Feed-in-tariff was secured.
In our license area, our 336,3MWm Environment Impact Assessment application has accepted.
On 26 January 2011, 42 MW electricity generation license was issued by Energy Market Regulatory Authority (EMRA) for 49 years. In 2015, electricity generation license is amended as 46,2MWm/42MWe as with the technological advancements in the sector.
At the stage of deciding to establish a wind power plant, a comprehensive region/investment study was conducted throughout Turkey. In this study, plenty of data were analysed, with wind parameters only a single, albeit important, factor. Our considerations included:
- Wind speed measurements
- Consultations with local authorities and community members on receptiveness for the project – explanation of our goals, implications for the community, including employment and impact on local business such as farming activities
- Region availability research was conducted
- Transportation is restored
- Grid capacity and its proximity to power plant area were taken into consideration
As a result of environmental and social impact evaluations, it was understood that the project would not have a negative impact on the region, environment and society. Thus, procedures could be carried out rapidly for permitting and for discussions on project financing. The high development quality to an international standard meant the project could secure a loan from EBRD. These funds were provided directly by the EBRD through a credit line to major Turkish bank Akbank.
The wind turbines are supplied by Vestas, the leading supplier in the world. Our selection of Vestas wind turbines are the latest generation of the world’s largest onshore format. In addition to oversight of delivery and installation in Amasya, Vestas and Sehzade have signed a 5+5 year maintenance contract.Turbine Specifications:
- Vestas 14 x V126-3.3 MW Wind Turbine Generators
- Tower height: 117 meters
- Wind turbine blades: 3 blades / each 61.66 meters
- Impeller (turbine wheel) (turn) diameter: 126 meters
- Advanced safety options: Heating control, over speed protection, arc detection, smoke detection, lightning protection, fire protection, emergency stops, OptiTip® blade pitch control, active yaw control and and other advanced safety features
Outstanding contributions of the project to its investors and Turkish Energy Sector are as follows:
- With 46,2 MWm / 42 MWe installed power, renewable electrical energy is being provided to some 65,000 households; once the wind farm reaches its maximum size of 147 MW, the number of the households being supplied with our clean, renewable energy source will increase to almost 227.500.
- Annually 101.347 ton carbon dioxide (CO2) emission is being supplanted by this power plant.
- Important contribution to 2023 renewable energy use targets of Turkey.
- With successful project stages, Şehzade RES has provided important contributions and skills to stakeholders in terms of performing similar projects in the following years.
- Thanks to the domestic parts used within the scope of local content incentives, an added value was provided to the Turkish economy.
Our company performs social responsibility projects in Amasya. In these projects student with various age groups, from primary and high schools, are brought to the site and we take them around our site. In these trips, informations about power plants, wind turbines and environment friendly technologies are given to them.
Sehzade Enerji, with these social responsibility project, wants to help development of Amasya and sustainable development of the country.